You can import users via CSV file. This is convenient for those who do not use Active Directory and especially for customers whose front-line workers (employees who do not have a fixed desktop workstation) do not have a corporate email address. You can easily create these employees in Haiilo using CSV import.
To import your users, you need a file in CSV format. It is important that the file does not contain header data and that each cell is formatted as text.
There are default information for importing users, without which you will not be able to import them:
- unique identifier
- first name
- last name
- login name
You can also optionally add the following data:
- initial password
The data must be in exactly this order in the columns of the CSV file.
The initial password can include the " character.
Structure a CSV file
When structuring your CSV file, there are format requirements that are mandatory to follow.
In addition to the above order, these are:
- The fields of an entry must be separated by commas. Optional fields must also be separated by commas, even if they do not have to contain values.
- The entries are separated by a line break.
- Each cell must be formatted as text.
- If a user belongs to several groups, the group names must be separated by a pipe (vertical line).
- If no initial password is specified, the user must request a password using the forgot password functionality. The password will not be overwritten if the user is re-imported (updated).
- A password cannot contain a quotation mark " because it acts as a formatting option.
- The format must be UTF-8 without BOM
When building the CSV file, it is imperative that you follow the order.
This is how a CSV file could look like:
You can also perform a user import via CSV file in addition to your AD or local users. However, it is not possible to perform two different CSV imports in parallel. However, you can overwrite your CSV import with a new CSV file or replace it completely at any time.
We have attached a sample CSV file to this article.
Import a CSV file
To import your users via CSV file, go to the administration and to "User directories". There you select "Create user directory".
In the mask that opens, enter a name for the directory and select the type. In this case "CSV".
Once you have selected the type, all needed information and the "Select CSV file" button will show below the selection. Select the CSV file from your local folder structure and upload it. If the file is faulty, you will get an error message with a hint in which column the error is. It is therefore imperative that the specifications are adhered to.
Under the "Synchronization" tab, you can define what should happen to so-called "orphaned users". These can either be ignored, deactivated or deleted. With the checkmark "Restore users" you can set whether deleted or deactivated users should be restored, which are again contained in the CSV file.
Orphaned users are the users who were in the list at the first import, but were no longer in the list at the second import.
If the CSV file is correct, you need to activate the directory so that your users are synchronized.
Users who are imported via a CSV file will not receive an automatic welcome email. They have to be informed manually by the admins.
- Example Import.csv247 Bytes