You can import and synchronize users on Haiilo via a CSV file. Users imported via a CSV file won't receive an automatic welcome email. The admins need to inform them about their accounts and login information manually.
The CSV user directory not only imports new users but also synchronizes existing users. If a user was previously created through a CSV file but is no longer included in a later uploaded file, the system will handle them based on the settings in the Synchronization > Orphaned users section. If the settings are not set to Ignore, the orphaned users will either be deactivated or deleted, depending on the selected option.
Structure a CSV file
To import your users, you need a file in CSV format. It's essential that the file doesn't contain any headers. The file should contain the following for each entry:
- unique identifier (mandatory)
- first name (mandatory)
- last name (mandatory)
- login name (mandatory)
- email (optional)
- group(s) (optional)
- initial password (optional)
The data must be in the above order in the columns of the CSV file. In addition to the above-mentioned order, these requirements should also be followed:
- The fields of an entry must be separated by commas. Optional fields must also be separated by commas, even if they don't contain values.
- The entries are separated by a line break.
- Each cell must be formatted as text.
- If a user belongs to several groups, the group names must be separated by a pipe (vertical line = |).
- If no initial password is specified, the user must request a password using the forgot password functionality. The password won't be overwritten if the user is re-imported (updated).
- A password cannot contain a quotation mark " because it acts as a formatting option.
- The format must be UTF-8 without BOM
This is what a CSV file could look like:
You can also perform a user import via CSV file in addition to your AD or local users. However, performing two different CSV imports in parallel is not possible. You can overwrite your CSV import with a new CSV file or replace it entirely.
We have attached a example CSV file to the bottom of this article.
Import a CSV file
- Go to Administration > User directories.
- Select Create user directory to add a new user directory.
- Enter a name
- Choose a type: CSV
- Select Select CSV file and choose and upload the file from your computer.
- If the file contains an error, you'll see an error message that shows in which column it is. Ensure that your file follows the requirements detailed above.
- Under the Synchronization tab, you can:
- Select to automatically active new and restored users found in the file
- Choose what should happen to orphaned users, i.e., users that were included in the CSV file in an earlier import but aren't in the file at later imports. These can either be ignored, deactivated, or deleted.
- Select to restore users that were deleted or deactivated if they reappear in a CSV import.
- If the CSV file is correct, you can activate the directory to synchronize your users.
After the first import, if you want to upload a new CSV file to update your users, you need to edit the existing CSV user directory in the User directories list. You cannot create a new CSV user directory.
Example CSV file
- Example Import.csv247 Bytes