Our powerful search function makes finding specific content on your platform easy. It scans the entire system based on your entered search term, saving you time and effort by allowing you to quickly and efficiently access your needed content.
When presenting results, the search considers your permissions and only displays the content you can access.
The search even allows you to easily locate items that support multiple languages by their language-specific names. This means that you can find pages or items recommended by your colleagues in their native language, even if you don't know the name in that language.
Start a search
You can access the search from the navigation bar's Search field or by pressing the S or F key. When you input a term, you will see suggested hits from pages, communities, users, events, and launchpad links in a quick search. You can select one of the suggested items if it's what you were looking for, or you can take action:
- Press Enter or select Show all results for search_term to open the global search with your search term pre-filled.
- Select Show all for a content type to open the global search with your search term and selected content type pre-filled.
Select Search in page/community when you're browsing a page or community and want to search for something located in it. This will open the global search with your search term and the selected page or community pre-filled.
Global search page
When you enter the global search, you will see the following sections:
Search bar: Your search term is pre-filled from the quick search when entering the global search. You can use search operators to refine your search.
- Read more in this section: Use search operators.
- Sort by: You can order the type-specific results by Relevance or Newest (by date). When sorting by Newest, the most recently modified or uploaded content is at the top.
- "Did you mean?" suggestions: If you've misspelled your search term or there's a similar term with more results, the system suggests terms to refine your search.
Type-based results: Shows up to three most relevant results by content type. You can select See all to apply the content type as a filter and view only results for that type.
- Read more in this section: Content types
Filtering options: You can filter to narrow down the results. Both All results and content type results can be filtered.
- Read more in this section: Filter the results.
- Feedback box: You can provide feedback on the search experience directly to Haiilo's team. We don't store any personal user data, only to which company you belong to be able to process the feedback better.
We natively support the following content types within the search, listed in the default sorting order in which results appear. You can change the content type sort order with our API.
- SharePoint (external source)
- Google Drive (external source)
- Files and the content within PDF, HTML, PlainText, RichText, XML, Apple Office, MS Office, and Open Office files.
- Blog articles (including text in widgets in articles)
- Wiki articles (including text in widgets in articles)
- Timeline posts (including Multichannel posts)
- Apps (including text in widgets in Content apps)
- List app
- Chat messages
If widgets have been added to articles and content apps, the text of the following widgets is searchable as well:
- Divider (text)
- Link button
- Plain text
- Poll (description and question)
- Rich text editor
- Single file (title)
- Video (title and description)
- Welcome widget (text)
Use search operators
You can use search operators to narrow down or broaden your search results. We support the following operators:
Search for direct matches with hashtags only.
When searching for
Results also show the hashtag so you can subscribe and unsubscribe from it.
||Wildcard matching any word or phrase.||
When searching for
||Search for results related to both X and Y||
||Search for results related to X or Y||
||Search for exact matches; results that mention a phrase||
When searching for
||Search for results that don't mention a word or phrase||
||Group multiple searches||
Filter the results
To get a better overview of the often long search results, you can use filters to narrow down the results. The filtering options differ between All results and specific content types. All results can be filtered by:
- Location: Where the item you're looking for is located or an event's host.
- Author: Who created the item you're looking for. Excludes Files, Colleagues, Pages, Apps, and Communities.
- Date range: When the item you're looking for was published, created, modified, or an event's start and end times. Excludes Colleagues and Apps.
If you want to filter by content type directly, meaning you know what type the item you're searching for is, you can select the All results drop-down and choose the content type. Depending on the selected content type, different type-based filter options appear. Some example filters are:
- Author/Host: You know who published the content you are looking for. This filter can include pages, communities, events, and colleagues who created an item containing your search term.
- Origin/Location: You know where the content was published. This filter can include pages, communities, events, and colleagues where your search term is located.
- Created/Published/Modified: You know when the content was created, published, or modified.