You can make certain channels mandatory or auto-subscribed for your users. Both public and private channels can be set as essential or default:
- If a channel is designated as essential, users are automatically subscribed to it and cannot unsubscribe from it.
- If a channel is designated as default, users are automatically subscribed to it, but they can unsubscribe from the channels list
To set this up, simply add the desired channel to the Essential or Default channels field in the settings.
Channels that are not listed as either Essential or Default will not auto-subscribe users and will thus act as opt-in-only channels, meaning the users will have to find these channels in their channel lists and subscribe to them manually. Any new channels added as Essential or Default will auto-subscribe all relevant existing users and any new users to the channels.
Channels can be made essential or default on three levels:
- Company level: all users in the whole domain, across all groups and teams, are affected
- Group level: all users in a group are affected. If you have a USA group, you can designate the 'All USA' channel as Essential for the entire group without it being mandatory for people outside the group.
- Team level: all users in a team are affected. If you have a Marketing team, you can designate the 'Content Marketing' channel as Essential for the entire team without it being mandatory for people outside the team.