To connect an RSS feed to Haiilo, navigate to the Importing Content tab under the Settings tab in the menu bar. Under the heading Connect RSS feeds, click Add new RSS feed.
This will open the box in Haiilo where you can input the RSS feed URL and select the channel(s) where the content should be posted and if you want the content to be published automatically. Hit Save after choosing your channels and your feed is connected. Haiilo fetches RSS feed content once every hour at xx:30.
Information regarding RSS feeds in Haiilo
Haiilo's fetcher fetches the content from the feed to Haiilo according to pubDate parameter in the feed's source, which also determines the publication date of the article on the Haiilo feed.
The fetcher checks the feed for content that has a pubDate set after the last time content was pulled in. If the pubDate does not match the actual time the article was added to the feed, it is likely that Haiilo will not fetch it at all. To guarantee successful content retrieval from RSS feeds to Haiilo, the submitted feed URL should meet the following requirements:
- The URL has to be a valid RSS feed which validates successfully in https://validator.w3.org/feed/
- The Post Title and Post Content are fetched from the information in the RSS feed. The title is fetched from the line in the RSS source that says 'title' and the content is fetched from the 'description' line.
- The Post Image is fetched from the information in the RSS feed if a source line includes an image link. If not, the image might instead be fetched from the link in the feed leading to the original website. You can see the link in the feed:
The pubDate property should adhere to any of the following formats:
- "Mon, _2 Jan 2006 15:04:05 MST"
- "Mon, _2 Jan 2006 15:04:05 -0700"
- "Mon Jan _2 15:04:05 2006" (ANSIC)
- "Mon Jan _2 15:04:05 MST 2006" (UnixDate)
- "Mon Jan 02 15:04:05 -0700 2006" (RubyDate)
- "02 Jan 06 15:04 MST" (RFC822)
- "02 Jan 06 15:04 -0700" (RFC822Z)
- "Monday, 02-Jan-06 15:04:05 MST" (RFC850)
- "Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:04:05 MST" (RFC1123)
- "Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:04:05 -0700" (RFC1123Z)
- "2006-01-02T15:04:05Z07:00" (RFC3339)
- "2006-01-02T15:04:05.999999999Z07:00" (RFC3339Nano)
- "Mon, 2, Jan 2006 15:4"
- "02 Jan 2006 15:04:05 MST"
- "Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:04:05 Z"
- "Tue, 04 Jun 2019 12:17:00 BST"
When a post is imported to Haiilo from an RSS feed, it appears differently for Admins and Users on the Haiilo feed. Admins can see the beginning of the RSS feed URL as the creator of the post, which helps identify the source of the content. On the other hand, users see your Haiilo domain's name as the creator, and they are not specifically informed about the source of the content.